Wednesday, November 16, 2011

DIY Hand Painted Jars

Hand Painting Glass Jars
I am a huge fan of Ball Mason Jars! Now the older vintage ones were blue glass and they are my most favorite! BUT if you go take a peek at the prices for them on ebay, they are tough to love because they cost SO much! I have a perfect solution! Paint your own blue ball mason jars! 
DIY Mason Jar painting
You can buy 12 large mason jar at your local grocery store for the cost of 1 vintage jar on ebay ($8 to $11). Plus you can buy the jars in all different sizes and paint them any color you like! I have used them for birthday party center pieces, storing buttons, cotton balls in the bathroom, or anywhere around the house that needs a little brighting up!
IMG_0706
I used Pebeo Vitrea 160 glass paint and Pebeo paint thinner.  I like the traditional blue mason jars, so I used the turquoise paint. You can find these at your local craft store for $3 each. Plus a $.35 cent sponge brush for applying the paint.
IMG_0708
You won't use much of this paint, even if you paint all 12 jars! Use about 2 quarter size drops of your paint, then add half as much paint thinner. Mix them together with your sponge brush. 
IMG_0709
 Apply a thin layer of paint to the jar. I put my hand inside the jar to get all sides evenly. Now if you want your jars more blue just add less paint thinner. Now you are going to have to let them sit for 24 hours.
After they sit for 24 hours place the jars on a cookie sheet and bake for 40 mins at 325 degrees. If you see streaks in the jars before they go into the oven, no worries the heat will help with that!
IMG_0715

Now these jars ARE dishwasher safe! Use them in your craft rooms to store buttons, ribbons, and other loose craft items. I think they'd make great holiday center pieces! If you do this project take some photos and let us see em! We'll post your photos on Oh Strumpets for everyone to see! :)
Pin It

5 comments:

Jim Doran said...

Nice!

karenmarie said...

so smart, love this!

Oh Strumpets! said...

Jim- Thanks! :)

Karen Marie - You should give it a try!

JustSandy said...

This is without a doubt the most creative thing I've ever seen on any blog. Holy moly. I had zero clue that glass paint even existed! Thank you for sharing this with everyone!

P.S. SUUUUPER cute blog. New follower here :)

Sandy.

Sway said...

Ohhh love this!!!
Luvluv
Sway x